Powered by Blogger.

.birth story no 2.

Hello everyone!
This is my first post as a mother of two and its only appropriate that I use this opportunity to share my baby boy's birth story, so here it goes!

This last pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum experiences have been so different compared to when I first went through it with Luna. I have taken a not-so-short break from social media and did not get a chance to ask what information you wanted me to include in this birth story, but I am going to try my best to be as detailed as possible, even though nobody asked.

Birth Plan

I didn't have a written birth plan again because I wanted to go with flow, but there were a few things that I knew I needed/wanted/hoped for the second time around. First of all, my husband was going to be my support person again and this time he promised he wasn't going to fall asleep while I labored at the hospital. I was obviously very excited about that.

I wanted a non-medicated vaginal delivery, but I also kept my options open incase I wanted to opt for an epidural. I ended up getting an epidural when I was in labor with Luna because I really wanted to rest and my husband support person was doing more snoring than supporting. The epidural also came in clutch the first time with the long labor and all the complications that followed. What I did not like was being completely numb from the waist down and not feeling when my water broke, or any pressure when it was time to push.

I was really hoping he would be a whole week late after his due date, just like his sister. I really wanted baby boy to be born as far away from all the holidays as possible because I have been told by many that having a birthday around the holidays really sucks. Plus, the holidays are always so crazy and hectic for me, so we really needed him to be born much later. Of course, I knew babies always have their own agenda.

I had a doctor's appointment and my doctor scheduled me for an induction two weeks later, which was perfect because that would give me time to take down all the Christmas decorations and finish setting up a few of baby's things before his arrival. I didn't have my doctor check my cervix at this appointment because I was sure we still had at least a week left to go. My doctor was surprised that I wasn't complaining about any discomforts, so we were both confident that baby boy wouldn't arrive any time soon. I met up with a friend after my appointment to drop off some lunch for her, went to the magical world of Costco and visited my parents later in the evening.

Early Labor

That night (at around 12am), I felt a really strong Braxton Hicks contraction that woke me up from my sleep. I didn't think much of it and tried going back to sleep, but another one came a few minutes later and it was just as strong. I went to the restroom to see if my mucus plug had came out and was met with a bloody show. I tried going back to sleep because contractions were not that painful and I knew labor can last several hours, but I knew s**t was getting real when I felt a sudden urge to go number two.

After I used the restroom I woke up sleeping beauty my husband from his deep slumber, asked him to call my mom, start timing my contractions and me knowing that he never packed his hospital bag, calmly asked him to collect the baby's and my hospital bag from the closet while I took a quick shower. At this point I was super cold, couldn't stop shivering, contractions were getting stronger and closer and the urge to go nĂºmero dos had not gone away. This is going to be TMI for some of you, but I had to stay on the toilet for another 20 minutes before I was even able to shower.

At around 2:00 AM I was finally showered, changed and somehow braiding my hair in between contractions. I was really proud of myself for staying calm and riding the waves of pain that came with each contraction. I pretty much had to hype myself up before and after each one and I was such a great cheerleader for myself! Ya'll should have seen me! Lol. We left to the hospital a few minutes after my mom arrived and the ride to the hospital was worse than the first time! I couldn't labor in the backseat because we had two car seats taking up most of the space, so I was on my knees and facing the back of the car during the whole ride. I really hated that part.

Hospital Labor

I was admitted to the hospital at around 4:00 AM and was 7cm dilated! I was so surprised at how quickly I was able to labor and get to 7cm on my own, but I was starting to feel nauseous and really weak. I kept feeling like I was going to collapse and I just wanted to rest, so I asked for the epidural, but before I was given the epidural, the nurse gave me medication to slow down my contractions because my pressure kept dropping and was putting the baby in distress. By the time I was given the epidural, I was already 8cm dilated. Looking back, I probably could have gone without it, especially since I was dilating quicker than I thought.

I really hated that I went completely numb from the waist down when I gave birth to Luna because I didn't feel my water break and I didn't feel the slightest pressure when Luna started making her way through the birth canal. I was very conscious of this and kept putting my hand in between my legs to see if I can feel any fluid from my water breaking. I finally felt fluid at around 6:30 AM, but I looked at my hand and it was completely covered in blood.

I immediately called the nurse and she removed the red pillow from between legs and said, "Wow, that's a good bloody show." Except that I knew in my gut that the blood was from a placenta rupture because I had the bloody show when I started laboring at home. She looked surprised when I mentioned this to her, got my husband and I prepared incase my doctor wanted to preform a c-section (I was confident she wouldn't) and headed out to call the doctor. I was still pretty calm because I felt that baby boy would make his arrival soon and I kept telling myself that he wasn't going to be deprived from oxygen and nutrients from the placenta.

The doctor came in around 7:30 AM and confirmed the blood was from a placenta rupture and broke my water to speed up labor. The nurses and doctors continued to monitor my blood pressure and the baby's heart rate. They kept reminding me to let them know if I felt any pressure because that would mean that it's time to push the baby out. At 8:20AM I felt that pressure in my abdomen/uterus and was so happy because that meant that I wasn't completely numb and I would be meeting baby boy a lot sooner! I called the nurse and she checked my cervix right away and said, "oh wow, that's his ear!" Apparently, he was more than ready to go!


I started pushing at 8:35 AM and despite my efforts, baby boy wasn't coming out as quickly as we wanted and his heart rate started dropping again. The doctor started getting a vacuum ready to help pull him out, but before she even had a chance to use it, she asked if I could try pushing one last time. I gave this last push everything I had. There was a loud popping sound, followed by a gush of liquid and baby boy was born at 8:42AM weighing 6lbs and 13oz. I hate hearing babies cry, but he had the cutest cry ever and he stopped crying as soon as the nurses put him on my chest. I mean, look at that smile!

These past few weeks have been tough, but only because life threw a curveball at us the day we brought him home from the hospital (more on that another time). I am still over the moon and I can't believe I have son. I know I can speak on behalf of my husband and my daughter when I say that we have never been happier and our family feels complete.

Thank you so much for reading, for all of your prayers and kind comments. Please let me know if you have any questions. I really hope the new year was off to a great start for you!

Much Love,
Perla Giselle


  1. Aww he's so cute! So scary about the blood and the placenta rupture - it's good you got him out safely in the end with all of that! Congrats on your baby boy's arrival!

    Hope that your week is going well! So hot here with the heatwave!

    Away From The Blue

    1. Yes, it was scary and thank you so much! I hope it has cooled down for you.

  2. Oh very good story, cute ending

  3. Big congratulations to you and your family Perla! That is quite a birth story which will probably be quite interesting to tell your son about when he gets older. I'm just glad it all worked out in the end and both of you are healthy and doing well. Enjoy being a mommy of 2 <3

  4. What a strong and moving story!
    You had to be very strong, I admire your courage.
    I wish all the health and happiness in the world to you and your family.
    Your children are beautiful! ♥


    1. You are always so sweet, Valeria! Muito obrigada!

  5. Such a sweetheart! welcome to the world little one. I love reading peoples birth stories because every one is so different. After 31 hours I was only 3cm dilated so I am jealous of how quickly your little guy wanted to make an appearance! haha. So glad you are all safe and well now despite the initial hurdles xx


    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it was a lot quicker and you are right, every birth story is so different! I can't imagine being in labor for that long. You are so strong!

  6. Congratulations Perla! He is adorable! Blessings to you and your family!

  7. Congratulations dear!!
    I'm so happy for you! I can imagine how tough the first weeks have to be, but everything is worth it :)

    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

  8. Congratulations! He is so precious. My youngest was 11 days early and I had very long labor with him. I went into labor new years eve and he was born on the 2nd of January.. So yes his birthday does get lost in the shuffle bit.. we are usually on a plan coming back from vacation.. and we usually save his party for a week later. But he hasn't complained about it yet.

    1. Thank you! Wow, that is a story! I have always wanted to meet more parents with kids born around the holidays, so thank you for sharing! I might just celebrate his birthday a week after as well.

  9. Aww, congrats, babe! And as a New Year's Eve baby, I can tell you that having a birthday around a holiday (and even on a holiday!) isn't bad at all- and it gets better as you get older, because now I host a New Year's celebration/birthday party for my pals and fam every year.

    I am so amazed at how calm you stayed and how you let your intuition guide you. Incredible! And I must say, your hair looked FAB!

    Le Stylo Rouge

    1. Ash! I had no idea you were a New Year's baby! That's amazing! I'm excited to celebrate now, thank you!! I appreciate you so much!!

  10. Wow the shivering and the car ride sound awful and the ruptured placenta that must have been scary. I am glad he came quickly after that. Wow. "More snoring the supporting" LOL I literally giggled out loud in front of my computer. LOVE this photos!! Congratulations!

    Allie of

    1. Thank you Allie! It's always great to hear from you! you are always so encouraging!

  11. Hello dear Perlita! So happy to stop by your site again! Finally after a short break and first of all I hope you're having a fantastic 2022 so far!

    Well you actually received 2022 with this big baby boy. I imagined you felt scared during all this complex process but I am happy to read that the baby came fast after that!

    The pictures in this blog post are just perfect! You should treasure them for years :)

    Hey Fungi

    1. Thank you Pablo! Te agradezco por siempre ser tan lindo conmigo! I look forward to reading your blog :)

  12. I'm glad everything turn out okay in the end. Congratulations! He is adorable!